Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ranting X Dinner at Seafood Restaurant

Made a trip down to support Marcus and his crew in this anti-smoking event, endorsed by Health Promotion Board, ran by some dance/event company in which I didn't even bother to register its name. To be brutally honest, I was pretty flabbergasted at the way how the event was held - it was terribly unprofessional and I also reckoned that it was a whole load of shit. Fortunately, this was on small scale, though I sincerely hoped it didn't turn off Jamil and Michelle... about how fucking bureaucratic Singapore is - even with respect to arts - which obviously embodied the quality of creative, albeit it was a street thing.

Duh.

This dude had to yell at Marcus's group for using powder. Yes - while the event was going on with hundreds pair of eyes observing the stage and this fellow demanded that they mop the floor. Yes - he ASKED the contestant to clean the stage. Yes - it was directed at the contestant. And nope, not the event personnel. For some mystical reason I failed to comprehend.

I had no qualms calling him a 'Pseudo-PAP dance umpire', for he said something along this genre:

"I don't want anyone of you to use powders or throw anything at the audience. If anyone does that again, I am going to penalize your score'.

This was indeed spelled with a capital WHAT THE FUCK with sixty exclaimations marks following after.

Every team had to perform a dance, with anti-smoking theme/message in them. You know, they are encouraged to exercise their creative juice (I think Marcus group did a wonderful job), but amid this freedom to self expression and in midst of this competition... they are telling you what you cannot do now? After you have rehearsed everything and prepared for the final show and now they are telling you that you cannot do this/that... now?

I was laughing my balls off when I heard that sort of shit - I tell you: this can only happen in Singapore... coming from Singaporean (especially if they are some die-hard PAP fanatics).

'Please be creative my little friends. Be as creative as humanly possible. But these are the things you can't do:

A) Blar blar blar

B) Blar blar blar

C) Blar blar blar

Seriously, we should just drop this whole facade of promoting self expression/creativity because even the people that ran the event don't even know wtf they are saying/doing.

Poor prize... poor coordination (din test music CD, dancers were missing during their turn, event timing pushed back 4 hours later, etc) ... 'stage director' was more interested in enjoying the show than to run the event proper and a whole lot of crap experience I got from this event.

I guess we should just stick with Suntec Dance and probably Funkamania.

This is just CMIGG.

***

Anyway - some photos taken at the seafood restaurant.









Cheers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About us