Thursday, April 02, 2009

29 Days

Never had I expect myself to spurt those words; it was something so impossible in the past and it seemed only to happen to kingdoms that were badly ruled.

Unfortunately, people do change.

Drastic change… subtle changes… all sort of changes.

I could steel myself even with the best weaponry; but it’s only a lone battle against the monstrous horde of challenges. Undead though I am, I could only do so much.

Even the best system ever is still subjected to impermanence.

So what’s truly lasting?

The existence of my love is meaningless without reciprocation. Almost like seasons without spring.

I can imagine the dire wolves, waiting surreptitiously for this relationship to fail before pouncing onto the fallen brilliant crest and shredding my once proud banner. Their numbers are many and noble guards that kept the relationship intact and strong during peaceful good years are being mauled and cut down, one by one, like broken twigs. These dire wolves are no common enemy; under cover of darkness, their camouflage makes perception difficult. The noble guards fought well – one against ten and yet none of them yield to their adversity.

But how do you combat something you can’t see?

I could hear malicious voice calling for annihilation of all standing living beings and decimation of great edifice built to sustain a hundred years – only to be threatened in less than a decade. I smelled a wisp of death lingering in the madness; battle cry being sounded and more wolves hungrily pouring in like raindrops through fragmentary roof.

Wounded though, I stand with pride and honor to defend what I see as my home. I grasped the sheath of my blade tight, waiting to draw my first blood.

Then I moved: I swung my broadsword and cut through the wolves that lunged straight at me; it died instantaneously. Another tried to work his paw towards my face, only to feel the teeth of my blade sinking into his breast and the mighty bash of my tower shield directly into his wolf-face. I kicked the dead wolf to release my sword and I stabbed a timely quick thrust into the belly of a surging wolf that flew towards me with stretched paws and wide-opened deathly maw. Then another…

Whatever that was thrown at me; nothing ever came close.

Then, I felt an arrow pierced through my splint armor behind me; I turned around and saw my assaulter – it was what I was tasked to protect. Disillusionment seep in and I realized what was going on: what I was tasked to protect, ironically instigated the wolf invasion.

How do I fight an external battle with internal strife?

Is there even a remote possibility of winning this?

- 29 Days

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About us