Saturday, April 12, 2008

Post Mortem Discussion (HR 'Supper session' on 110408)

Interestingly as per yesterday conversation, I read an article this morning in Straits Time forum about proselytizing or sharing of religious faith.

***

RE: Let's respect a person's private space in public

I WAS sitting alone in my school canteen one afternoon when a girl came up to me and asked if I had time to spare. Yes, it was yet another get-to-know-God session.

I'm sorry if this sounds impolite, but I've had enough of such encounters in school and other public places.

I find the increasingly noticeable trend by Singaporeans to proselytise in public worrying.

It is not uncommon when one is sitting alone outside Starbucks, or on a bench in school, to find oneself being approached by some stranger who starts introducing his or her concept of religion.

It may be acceptable to spread one's religion by setting up a booth at Orchard Road, putting up a website, or distributing fliers but it should not go further.

Proselytizing in school is too much. I am well aware that these people mean well, and feel intensely about their beliefs and that good things are meant to be shared. I feel the same way about my religion too but I do not do what they do because it is not the right way to share my beliefs.

Such get-to-know-God sessions are undemocratic because they indirectly convey the message that a person feels his religion is superior to the beliefs of others, and that others should therefore switch.

It is also intrusive especially if courtesy requires one to listen when one wishes to turn away. I am glad that my friends, who are of a different religion, do not try to convert me.

Religious freedom does include the right not to be annoyed by someone who over-enthusiastically tries to promote his or her beliefs.

Tolerance and acceptance have their limits.

I believe that the only way for a person to win respect for himself and his beliefs is for that person to be a good person first.

He should embody the values which his beliefs teach him, and prove the strength of love through actions, not sermons.

Show me that your beliefs make you a better person, and that your religion makes you care for the world; that is all you need to do.

After encountering one too many sessions in public, I think that there perhaps should be a law to ban such religious touting.

Wee Feng Yi (Ms)


***

I will quote fromYasuji Kirimura book:

'...The five guides are the criteria Buddhists should take into consideration in propagating faith. There are: (1) correct understanding of the teaching, (2) a correct understanding of the people's capacity, (3) a clear recognition of the current of the times, (4) an accurate evaluation of a society and the culture, (5) a solid grasp of the philosophies and systems of thoughts which have been propagated to date....'

Then he goes on:

'... There are two methods of propagating Buddhism: Shakubuku and Shoju... Strictly speaking, however, there is a definite difference between them. The important thing is to employ the most appropriate method depending on the situation. If we practice Shakubuku when shoju would be better, inappropriate method causes unnecessary friction and delays the progress of kosen-rufu. When shakubuku is utilized to teach those who have a misguided concept about Gohonzon, we should know what to refute. We have to correct mistaken views about the Gohonzon, but it is unnecessary to try to change a person's view on life and the world even though we may disagree with them. Rather, we should have faith that if the fundamental attitude towards Buddhism changes and a person begin to practice it sincerely, he will gradually change his views on life and the world on his own accord.'


Cheers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About us