Thursday, October 11, 2012

Aunt Agony 111012


Originally posted by Olljwdkq:

I'm an 18 year old taking my As this year. Up till now I don't really have problems in my life, right till now.

Almost all my friends are attached. In my 2 years I've chased 4 girls without luck. I'm not a flirt, perhaps it's my defense mechanism, to move on quickly after I get rejected. I just feel so lonely that I'm forever alone. Often I wonder if it's because I'm short, or I'm ugly, or what. To be honest I'm not short, I'm perhaps a little below average. And I don't think I'm ugly, but then I can't get a girlfriend, so maybe I AM ugly. I don't know. (I'm not posting my picture)

Recently there was this girl. Last week (I ended school at 12 and had something at 4 so I wanted to study in between) I texted her if she was studying (I know she studies in school) and she said yes, so I went to join her. It was productive, we chatted a bit, but not to the extent that we couldn't concentrate on work.

Yesterday (Sunday) we had a school event including her and I. She asked me to eat dinner with her. Maybe I'm thinking too much, but from this I'm thinking she doesn't HATE me, right? I mean why would you ask somebody you dislike for dinner? So all I'm saying is it's a reasonable guess that she at least does not dislike me.

Anyway we didn't eat dinner that day, because I had something cropped up the last minute.

So anyway I asked to study with her again (because I studied with her once and it was productive for both of us + I was under the impression she at least likes me) and she said she preferred to study alone. Note that when I studied with her she was studying with a friend, so I'm not sure if her friend joined at the last minute (like me) or if she was just blowing me off with an excuse.

Today I went to study and saw her and joined her. There was a girl there (a different one). When the girl left she said bye to her. So I don't know if they were studying together or not. (She is really sociable and has lots of friends so maybe the girl could have just joined like me, I don't know).

So 1) I'm really confused: If she likes me enough to ask me to join her for dinner, why won't she say yes to studying with me? I'm not even asking her out on a date! I just wanted to study together. And if she's not comfortable around me, why the f*ck would she ask me for dinner?

2) I'm frustrated. My head is in a mess. My mind is f*cked up. What's wrong with me? Is it my character, my personality, or physically I'm just defective? Why can't I find a girlfriend? Am I that bad a catch? In what areas exactly am I not on par with my friends?

3) I'm so lonely. Right now I don't even want a girlfriend! I just want a female companion, a friend. A person to study with.

What's wrong with me?


Too much analysis causes paralysis.

You probably felt the need to validate your own self worth by believing that for as long as you could hang out with at least one girl, it would somehow raise your esteem by a notch. This is normal and natural development for people of your age; in which our identity is pretty much tied to the kind of association and friends we hang out with.

The fear of loneliness is one of the most common reasons why people desire a 'Boy-Girl' form of relationship. But it's not just about being attached per se; the fact is that our love and belonging needs are not adequately being met. Hence we always feel the void to fill them with something and our logical mind perceived that as BGR. However, it is a vicious cycle because every rejection would naturally cause you to distort, withdraw or reinforce your defensive mechanism.

In reality, what you are probably missing in life is not merely BGR; in fact, it's likely that you don't really share very meaningful relationship with people - both boys and girls (immediate family members not included). And meaningful does not mean romantic.

Ultimately, we are all social creatures - the need to feel connected to another person is a real need. Other than studying, you might want to figure out what you usually do during your free time and how to expand your social circle beyond that of just academic activities. Focusing on interest and activities would greatly help to defray the prospect of loneliness, have fun and improve our social capital.

Cheers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About us