Saturday, January 25, 2014

Regrets (again) III: The Fear of Regret

The fear of regret on the other hand strikes with a vorpal blade of paralysis, inflicting great terror of immobility to decision making. The struggle of our current plight becomes less terrifying than the prospect of an unknown decision leading to an adventuring route you have never traveled before.  

That is therefore the fear of regrets; lassitude and ambivalent.



Just spring cleaned my room; it's always a cringing experience whenever I unearthed old stuff and read things I wrote more than a decade ago. I always cringed at my earlier poorly expressed juvenile writing and at this juncture, I am unable to comprehend my teenage state of mind/emotions when I wrote those nonsense.

Honestly, I cannot readily figure out how all that gathered and developed into my current state of thinking. Tried to recall back the pathway and it is an impossible task because of the sheer amount of refining done to my mind, which resulted in irrevocable changes.

I was writing emo-stuff. Loads of it. And regret of fear does pop out time to time. It is only until I have decided to make a choice to leave things behind... does things really get left behind.

The fear of regret then thus become an illusion.

I don't think it is reasonable to accept that things remain static or unchangeable permanently. At every given moment, we are confronted with choices that will shape our destiny. The fear in making choices - though might appear that we have deep seated fear of regrets - is really about our fear of assuming responsibility for the choice we make. In love, very often, we want others to make the decision instead (e.g. if he/she doesn't love me anymore, he/she should let me go).

However, that's quite a flawed thinking; nobody but ourselves is holding us back. If he/she doesn't love you, you can decide what you want to do with this information.

Non-action itself is thus a choice.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About us