Sunday, October 03, 2010

RIP - Mdm Kwa Geok Choo

I think Lao Lee must have been devastated - although I may not agree with some of his political views, but I must say that I truly respect the way he develops his relationship with her. It is the same model which I envisioned as an ideal for myself - that a relationship isn't just companionship, but more importantly, a partnership towards towards a cause they both believe in.

The demise of Mrs Lee of taught me something important - that really, behind every successful man is a woman. And when she was physically fallen, Lao Lee not only took care of her, but also read to her two hours every day. It's not about the act that makes him faithful or a sentimental lover, but rather, the gratitude towards his wife who have supported him when he was a nobody and now in return, he took care of her, is genuine love - a bona fide love that rise above the test of time. If he was a narcissistic lover, then he would only be interested in receiving but not giving.

The act of giving, this altruistic part of a human quality, can be define as a virtue that divide us between the realm of human and beast. Love can really bring out this altruistic part of us and express them in the most beautiful manner ever.

Their relationship reinforce my personal stand - that if I were to marry someone who is unable to support my ideals, then it is better than I remain single. To have an exclusive companion is good, but companionship can be found easily. A relationship that builds solely only companionship, dinner dates and movie partner will hit a ceiling soon enough.

Like Lao Lee - if I am going to have a relationship of 63 years, then the relationship needs something greater to sustain it because there is only so many places you can eat, so many movies you can watch and so many countries you can visit.

I am comforted by the fact my thoughts are not utopia, but are possible and the right way forward.

RIP.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About us